Mr. Katzen is a Principal of Katzen Marshall. Since entering the appraisal profession in 1981, he has been responsible for more than 1,000 valuations of securities, business enterprises, real estate, machinery/equipment, and intangible assets. Prior to forming Katzen Marshall, Mr. Katzen was a Partner in Ernst & Youngâ€™s Valuation Services Group. He was responsible for field investigations, analysis, and report preparation of valuation studies. Before joining Ernst & Young, Mr. Katzen was a senior investigations accountant with the London-based office of Laventhol & Horwath.Â Mr. Katzen also brings five yearsâ€™ experience in audit and tax.
Mr. Katzen has valued firms ranging in total assets from $200 thousand to $1 billion. The valuations were performed for:
- Allocation of Purchase Price for Tax and Financial Reporting
- Estate and Gift Tax Planning and Reporting
- Merger and Acquisition Planning
- Financial Accounting and Tax Reporting
- Dissident Shareholder Actions
- International Transfer Pricing
- Employee Stock Ownership Plans
- Regulatory Reporting
- Management Planning
- Property Tax Appeals
His industry experience includes Agribusiness, Energy, Automotive, Financial Institutions, Telecommunications, Manufacturing, Construction, Publishing, Service Companies, Retail, Distribution, Apparel, High Tech and Computer Software, Health Care, and various niche industries.
Mr. Katzen has also been involved in the international financial arena, having devoted his experience to the valuation of various firms in the United Kingdom, France, Belgium, Germany, Holland, Italy, Bulgaria, Hungary, and Mexico. He is in a position to offer consulting and valuation services to groups desiring such expertise.
Mr. Katzen provides consulting and expert testimony for litigation purposes, including dissenting shareholder suits, divorce, lost profit suits, bankruptcy, etc. He has participated in litigation cases in Texas, Arizona, and Oklahoma.
Mr. Katzen holds a Bachelor of Science degree in Commerce with a concentration in Finance from the University of the Witwatersrand, Johannesburg, South Africa. He has also completed the required curriculum to achieve his designation as a member of the Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales. He is also an accredited senior appraiser (ASA) in the American Society of Appraisers in the Business Valuation discipline.
- Senior Member, American Society of Appraisers, Business Valuation Discipline
- Past President, D/FW Chapter, American Society of Appraisers
- Member, Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales
- Member, The ESOP Association
- Member, Dallas Estate Planning Council